Monday, February 18, 2008

Week Six Thing #15

Library 2.0
A few comments:
Storey: “The Web becomes the center of a new digital lifestyle..”
Horizon Report: “The way we work, collaborate, and communicate is evolving..”
I couldn’t agree more. But what about the digital divide?
I work in what I consider a solid middle class Massachusetts town. Our technology capability, however, decreases and degrades each year. Our school libraries have always been strong advocates of change. But resources from our local budget, state funding, and eligible grants do not come close to supporting what that change demands. In addition, about 20% of our students have no or limited access to technology at home. Where do we fit in this world of the future? Anderson said of the print era: “It worked moderately well for those privileged with access to a good library.” Does not the same apply now?

No comments: